Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Lances First Camping Trip with Dad





This summer towards the end of August I felt like I needed some time away from work so I took some time off to go camping and "get away from it all". I got off of work on Friday but vacation didn't 'officially' begin until Monday morning because I didn't make camping reservations far enough in advance. Sunday afternoon I packed up the car with all the things we needed to stay happy, healthy and satisfied. Clearly by the picture below I was successful. The first thing out of the car, I can't remember, nor the second, but the third I know was the hammock. Once Lance discovered what exactly it was, both he and I knew that he'd found a new home.

While we were in the woods, fishing biking, hiking, swimming and eating whatever we wanted my cousin Ehren came out from Sheboygan for a visit - he got up on Wednesday and stayed overnight until Thursday before he had to leave. We spent a lot of time in the water tossing a football around. Wednesday night we had our first fire- the trip had seemed incomplete until then. Thurday we were pretty worn from the previous day (we hadn't gotten in the car at all, choosing to walk instead) and sat down to play some battleship to relax. We discovered at this time that Lance was not a natural strategist.

Not much to say about the dragonfly that had a deathwish except that the dragonfly had a deathwish. I'd never been divebombed by a dragonfly but this one seemed to be intent on hanging out with us. It was bent on being a distraction and a nuisance.
Friday brought Amanda and Max. It was interesting having the dog since we'd never camped with Max before. With the dog brought out the coons as well. While they weren't too keen on the cooler and some of our snacks, they were very interested in the dogs food.

Lance likes Yahtzee

Deciding he can fit in my First Ascent 70 litre backpack, lance wanted to go for a hike.
I remember when he was quite a bit smaller- hiking with a 50 lb. child on your back and a hyper dog on your arm is no easy task.
All told we were in the the woods from Monday through Sunday - honestly, it was a bit too long. I was "Lances Vacation" in that we did whatever he wanted, and keeping a ship-shape camp, making sure that he was fed and well taken care of took quite a bit more than I thought it would. All told it was really nice to get Amanda up on Friday for some help taking care of him and making sure that we could maximize activity and rest.
The Sunday drive home was an early one. We chose to leave as soon as we could in order to get our gear put away early on Sunday with enough time to recover before work began.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment